4th of July
A Message from Sheriff Jones
The Pope County Sheriff's Office wishes you and your family an exciting and safe 4th of July holiday.
The 4th of July holiday is a celebration of our becoming independent as a country on July 4th, 1776. To learn more about Independence Day history from PBS.org, click here.
If your plans are to celebrate with an at-home fireworks display, please make sure you practice safety.
Remember that fireworks can pose a fire and safety hazard to those who use them. Use caution when shooting fireworks, and be sure to follow these recommended safety tips from https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/Fireworks:
- Have a fire extinguisher available & know how to operate it properly.
- Closely supervise children around fireworks at all times.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush, leaves and flammable substances.
- Always have a bucket of water nearby.
For anyone who is traveling this 4th of July weekend, remember to always wear your seat belt and never drink and drive - instead, call a designated driver to get you home safely. Not only do you risk your life when you drive impaired, you are putting the other drivers you share the roadway with at risk, too. Also keep in mind social distancing rules and regulations when traveling and spending time with family and friends.
The Pope County Sheriff's Office wishes everyone a fun, safe, and healthy 4th of July weekend!
Sheriff Shane Jones